Thursday, May 7, 2009

Zions

Last weekend we went to Zions National Park. I had never been, Ive passed by it but, never got down. I wish we could have seen more!! It was not easy hiking up these trails and taking shuttles carrying a baby in my belly, one on my hip and having Chanel who falls every 30 seconds stumbling her way up and down the trial and Jameson who is OBSESSED with anything that moves running off the trails to catch some weird bug or something. So we only got to see a small part of the beauty. I want to go back with leashes, strollers and backpacks for the kids. Maybe something to knock em out too so I can really soak it up! We all had a blast! On Saturday Rory went biking with some of my mom's friends that are up there. I don't think Rory knew what he was in for, these guys are EXTREME mountain bikers! He left about 9:30 am and didn't return back until 8 PM! They came back with one guy that had a broken arm and a girl that had smashed her face in. I kept thinking if that were me I would be bawling my eyes out and making Rory rush me to the nearest instacare so I can get the strongest pain killer available and then I would pout and whine about it until it was healed. Even then I might still whine some more! But NO these people continued on with the ride and then came back and CAMPED OUT ANOTHER NIGHT!!!! Crazy... Luckily Rory came back in one piece (I was a little surprised) and he stuck through it with the best of em! He even chose to go down a harder trail then the rest with one other nut job! I was very proud of him, and I would have told him that except I was a little irritated that he had dropped me off in a desert with 3 kids and expected me to keep them entertained by myself ALL DAY!??! Actually it wasn't that bad, between the Virgin River, frogs, bugs, ant hills, bikes, dogs and of course the luxury of have a TV and DVD player it was rather easy. Just exhausting is all. Sunday is when we went to Zions. It was my day and that's what I wanted to see. It was amazing (what we saw of it)! I cant wait to go back, I want to plan it out a little bit better next time because there were so many amazing trails we didn't even get to see. Around 4 we decided we should start heading home. We got everyone and everything loaded and the kids were completely exhausted so we thought this was going to be a piece of cake. We would ride home in complete silence and peace, without the whining and stopping every 5 miles to go potty. We got about 1 hour down the road when we heard a POP and the truck lost all power!! We BROKE DOWN!! So we inched our way into the nearest town, Cedar City and parked at a Checker Auto Parts for about 2 hours where Chanel managed to get her fingers smashed in the door and pee her pants at the same time. Then we were off to the Auto zone for another 2 hours where Jameson dropped one of the 4 dogs we were with on the baby and it scratched her poor little leg really good. It was so much fun!!!! In the end my mom came and got the kids and I. I got to ride in the very far back of her SUV (we ran out of seats ) with the dogs the whole way home!! We finally made it home around 1 am but at least we made it home!! Poor Rory stayed with his truck in Cedar City working on it all night. I felt so sorry for him!! He is such a hard worker. I kept saying lets go rent a hotel and you can hire someone to do it in the morning. But no, Rory was bound and determined to get it done himself! He made it home the next day, with a blown turbo and now a big fat bill. But he is still working on the truck, I don't doubt it will be running better than before in a few days. So that's it! It was so much fun and I highly suggest going to Zions!!!

3 comments:

Kristi said...

I love hiking in Zion. I think you definitely deserve another trip back! One with a much smoother ride home. That sounded terrible!

bella utahan said...

Glad you are home in one piece! What an adventure! Sounds like a fun trip none the less!

Julie said...

Holy Cow! WHat a crazy trip! Sounds like it turned out ok....Count your blessings that Rory didn't get his face smashed in or a broken arm too! :)
You are a trooper! That's not an easy task keeping kids entertained in the middle of nowhere! You truly are super mom!