Monday, November 3, 2008

Rory's Quest!

Well... He did it! He didn't make 35 miles but, he gave it his best shot! As against this whole thing as I was, I was so very proud of Rory for trying! There are a lot of people (like myself) that are always saying "you know what would be cool..." or "you know what I would like to do..." and never do it, but Rory always says "So I'm going to....". When I hear those words out of his mouth I know unless I really throw an enormous fit he is going to do whatever it is he just told me, once he has his mind set on something it will be done. Anyway, I was so proud of him that he tried his hardest and was so positive through out the whole thing. Now... to the story. We got to the launch ramp at Utah Lake around 10 am Friday morning and the film crew was running really late so Rory was having more and more time to think about what he was about to do and he was getting so antsy! Then all these people starting showing up, all his friends, family, even our neighbors came! He had a pretty big audience! I asked him if he was okay and he said he could feel the pressure. Then the film crew got there and after about an hour of interview he was finally ready! We were all going crazy with anticipation! He started the machine and decided it would be best if he just jumped right off the dock into the water. It wasn't until I heard the engine turn that it hit me that I was probably about to see my husband get smaller and smaller until he disappeared into Utah Lake on a SNOWMOBILE! He started going and by the time he hit the water he was going at least 20 mph! Remember you have to be going at least 15 mph or it sinks. Everyone started to scream and holler! It was all so exciting! I think I was even jumping up and down! There were 2 boats, a few cars and one airplane all following him! Then... we all heard the engine sputtering and shut off completely. It sank almost immediately! I just disappeared into the water, luckily Rory didn't. He was probably only in the water for a total of 1 minute, but it was the most exciting minute ever!!! He had tied a booey to the snowmobile so that if it did sink they would be able to find it and so they pulled it out, which took about 100 times longer than it did to get the dang thing in the water in the first place. I thought for sure when he got back to shore he would be so disappointed, but instead he was so happy! He had so much fun with all the hype and actually riding it out there and seeing for himself that it can actually be done! He handled it all so well. I think I would have been totally pouting and upset that it didn't work but he was the exact opposite. I was so so so proud of him, and so was everyone else! We were all just amazed that he thought this crazy little idea up in the first place, and did what he had to do to make it happen. So, no he didn't go the 35 miles he had hoped for, he probably only went about a quarter of a mile but, he did do it! I thought after all this was over, it would be out of his system.... Silly me. Now, he says he just needs a better machine! The one he used was given to him, so it wasn't in the best shape which is why he sank in the first place. So, now all he needs is a bigger, better and faster machine???!! Once he gets a taste of something he doesn't stop until he is full. Crazy, crazy, crazy...


To the right is a video of Rory, its not the greatest but we havent gotten the one back from Godfrey's films. Im not sure why there are 2 other videos, but I couldnt figure out how to make it just one video, you have to click on the one on top.

5 comments:

Julie said...

Way to go Rory!! I think it is awesome that he even attempted it! The only think more awesome would have been if we were invited to watch........jerk off! haha! Just kidding! Maybe next year he can try again!!

bella utahan said...

How funny! I would have liked to have been there! Where is the video?

bella utahan said...

never mind, i found the videos.

Teresa said...

Sometimes I wonder where he gets pushing the limits from. I dont think it is genetic. But where ever he gets it. He does have an adventurous spirit. And I am glad that he is safely making it through! I was sorry I missed it. Maybe I can be there when Chanel breaks the record in 15 years!!

Teresa said...

-- I posted some pics on our blog that Rod shot