Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Croup for Christmas?

A couple days ago, I noticed my little Rori Ana getting a little bit of a cold. Nothing to worry about, not bad at all. Then last night we went to go watch Bolt 3D, which is a cute movie by the way. And by the time we were done with our movie I was very concerned because Rori Ana was having a hard time breathing and we all know she has given me a breathing scare before!! And she had a really raspy little cough. So we went to the instacare around 6:30 and by the time we got there she had a fever even though I had given her Tylenol and Motrin, and she was doing even WORSE! She had that famous little cough that sound like a little seal and I knew right then what she had... Croup. UGH! She looked so terrible! I checked all my kids in and they had me give them all steroids, the older ones weren't sick but we did it just as a precaution since the steroids wouldn't hurt anything. But Rori Ana decided to throw up all the meds we had just given to her, so then we had to do it by shot. Poor, poor baby! I know all you mommy's know what its like to see your babies in so much pain and see them look at you like "why are you doing this to me!" They feel bad as it is and we have to go make it worse. Well, then her breathing got worse and they had a ventilator blowing vaporized Epinephrine in a cool mist to clear her airways. She started to do better so around 9:30 they said we could go home, after my kids had ran up and down the waiting room and infected themselves with whatever the hell else is in there! But when we started leaving Rori did it again. She wouldn't breath right, so the doctor and I sat outside with her for a few minutes and decided I would be spending some time outside that night. Last night was AWFUL!! She was in so much pain, and she would NOT take her Motrin and Tylenol easy so I there I was torturing her again. And every time she would get that riled up there went her breathing! The only thing I could do was open up our bedroom window completely (its pretty big) and walk back and forth, back and forth.... The walking calmed her down and the cool air helped her breath. I was so tired but at least she was calm and sleeping. Then every time I would pass by Rory (Big Rory) sleeping so sound I would just want to just KICK HIM!!! I wanted to yell at him for sleeping through my poor baby screaming what little she could in pain and tell him to get up and do something! Don't just lay there!!! DO SOMETHING!! LOOK CONCERNED, SOMETHING!!! Isn't that terrible? I know better, but I hadn't gotten one wink of sleep and I think I was just jealous. I know he has to work all day today and he wouldn't have known what to do. Then he woke up this morning (so rested) and I was sitting up with Rori Ana on my chest and he kissed me and asked if we were ok. I feel better now, I'm not thinking about killing him anymore. But I am running on no sleep right now and I have been so tired anyway so this is really killing me. Rori Ana is sleeping all bundled up next to our open window so she can still breath and I'm chasing Jameson and Chanel around the house trying to get all my stuff done for the day. Okay, okay, I'm done venting now. I love being a mom and being the only one who knows how to make my babies happy. Or at least as happy as they can be. So I am going to go continue with my day.

To Rory: I'm sorry honey, I would never really kick you in your sleep. I love you.

6 comments:

Anthony and Christel said...

Poor little baby, I hope that she gets better soon. Other than her being sick, I loved that post...because we have all been there at one point or another!! Maybe nap time will be great today, and you can take one too.

Kristi said...

That's terrible! I hope she gets feeling better soon. I don't know if it's harder on the mommy or the baby when baby gets sick.

Unknown said...

I always love your postings. You are so funny. I hope Rori Ana gets feeling better soon. It's so hard to see them sick.

Tiffany said...

Croup is the worst!! Kyler got it once while we were on vacation, luckily we were staying with a nurse, and she recognized it right away, so I spent lots of hours in the bathroom with hot water running in an empty shower, trying to keep the air moist..he got over it in a day. phew! Good luck, I hope you get some sleep.

Julie said...

You can totally kick him! He would understand after the pain subsided.......FIRST OF ALL, I love the Instacare. They have a few great great dr's..But there was one (Dr Anderson---older guy)who missed 4 cases of RSV just in our neighborhood! He has a horrible bedside manner and when I took Alex in last year, knowing full well, he was sick as sick and that it wasn't "just a cold" like he said. After being sent home, I took him the next day to his Pediatrician and he was in bad shape. They gave him a breathing treatment in the office and had to put him on steroids! So be careful! Duncan and Dunn are AWESOME there...Anderson SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Let me know if I can do anything!

bella utahan said...

so when we were on skype the other day that was pre- croup? Poor girl has!!! I hope now it is cleared up! What causes it?